Show Photography

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sharon Packer
    Participant

Seasonal show photographer here for USEF and FEI competitions in stadium jumping, dressage and driving. My workflow for show grounds is to take reservations @ $ 30 for individual riders. For the reservation fee, they receive a password protected gallery and a complementary low resolution digital image of their choice. In addition, I offer a 20% discount on all purchases made within 20 days of the event to those who reserved a photo session. In addition to photographing for those who made reservations, I take a few appropriate images of every rider in the classes that show management assigns to me for their PR needs. I’ll be happy to discuss workflow as far as uploading photos to the computer for organizing, editing and downsizing for website upload if wanted. A discussion of correct point of stride for flat work and dressage is welcomed.

Sharon Packer
    Participant

“I think a lot of photographers are going about show photography in the wrong way. They are doing it all on spec and shooting everyone and leaving galleries up forever. Of course no one is going to buy, there is no urgency or need to when all the images are there for free looks forever. By charging a gallery deposit or fee and offering a time sensitive discount and a deadline for orders for when galleries will come down people will have to buy, and they do. They also don’t mind paying a gallery fee and that puts money in the photographers pocket up front. People actually understand when I tell them I need to make money to stay in business ? I think one of our downfalls is guilt in asking people to pay for our work since we love to do it so much, we need to change that thinking.”

I agree. I stopped feeling guilt for charging years ago. I charge an upfront fee of $ 35 to photograph a dressage test. The $ 35 gets the rider a complimentary social media sized image of their choice, a password protected gallery and % of on holiday sales. I never have less than 20-25 pre paid sign ups. It is also incentive for riders to view their galleries and make additional purchases. They really like selecting their personal password for their galleries.

Heather Johnson
    Participant

I have spend the last year building my show horse portfolio by going to small shows and doing some second shooting for other show photographers. Is there a certain way you should network with horse shows? How do connect or contact them? I do have liability insurance. Does anyone photograph horse portraits at shows, of horse and riders or hire another photographer to do so?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.