HOME PORTFOLIOS DIRECTORY LINKS & RESOURCES CONTACT EVENTS COURSES MEMBERS ONLY YOUR ACCOUNT

IMAGE SHOWCASE - Best from the Basics Course

View EPNet member's inspiring equine images, updated regularly.

Moderator: EPNet Admin

Re: IMAGE SHOWCASE - Best from the Basics Course

Postby Jodie Turner on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 am

What did I learn?

The big deal for me was to re-unite with "manual dexterity!" Something I'd lost during a long bout with poor health. It feels great!

Getting the benefit of a 70-300 lens and learning to see in a new way.

I certainly accomplished my goal of gaining "horse sense." I had very little experience photographing horses - but horse owners and others liked what I was doing - and I enjoyed it too. Spending time with horses is such a lovely getaway - leaving behind all the shoulds and chores and lists and simply being in the now.

EPN has a fine set of 'bots as I received an unsolicited (but very welcome) email inviting me to check out the network (due to, I believe, horse photos I'd posted on a couple of websites). I did. And came across Carien's course - and what a wonderful, worthwhile workshop it has been - technically and artistically!

Many thanks, jodie

1/1600
f4
iso200
70mm
Attachments
cariens_pick.jpg

PR Kennedy

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby PR Kennedy on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:33 am

I learned so much in this course, about my camera, about seeing details and distortion, about horses, and about the attention to detail that it takes to make great photos. With a good DSLR on automatic and the continuous shooting you can sometimes get a good photo... but I now have a profound respect for the discipline it takes to consistently take good images!
Taken at a hunter-jumper schooling show.
Attachments
_DSC0147-3.jpg
1/1000 f5.0 145mm iso200
Nikon D7000
Nikkor 50 mm f/1.4

Megan DeHart
Registered Guest

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Megan DeHart on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:30 pm

This was shot this week at the USEF Pony Finals at the Kentucky Horse Park. This poor girl had just fallen off in the warm up and gotten back on to take on more fence and then go compete. She was a trooper. This class was a great educational experience I feel more prepared to go out and try to get some work shooting shows and individuals with their horses.
Attachments
bows web.jpg
Digital Canon Rebel XT with Sigma 70-300 f/4

Megan DeHart Photography

Nancy Bateman
Registered Guest

Postby Nancy Bateman on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm now at a place, because of this class, where I know my weakness and strengths, but most importantly what to do to improve my weaknesses. So valuable! I'm so comfortable shooting in manual now and know what to do w/ ISO, white balance, etc. I've learned how to see and think with my camera. I love photos that evoke emotion and with my final project I shoot portraits of my 4H class (11 kids, 10 done, one more to go). Fair is next week! We'll hang the portraits at the barn. I could never have done this work without this class. Thank you, Carien! I made a few moms cry. :)

This is a shot of JJ and her horse Meg. They are very close which you can tell the body language. We had stopped shooting because Meg was so thirsty so we gave her break. Some shots aren't planned, and this was an opportunity I couldn't miss. It's been a tough year for JJ. Her dad comes home from Afganistan this month. I can't wait for him to see the photos.
062f.jpg
062f.jpg (105.4 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
Nikon D80, Nikon 70-300, Nancy Bateman

Mary Raper
EPNet General Member

Postby Mary Raper on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:34 pm

I've learned a great deal in this course. I've been able to leave the auto/basic modes on my camera, and since I've crossed over I haven't looked back. I'm really thinking about each shot, paying attention to details, and when I get stuck I know where to look in my manual to get the answers. Thanks, Carien, for a wonderful course.
Attachments
IMG_6054-CD-panning.jpg
Canon 20D and Canon Rebel, Canon lens EFS 18-55 and 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS USM

Laura Clutterbuck

Postby Laura Clutterbuck on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:18 am

I have learnt so much from this course!! I knew what i liked in other people's photos but couldn't quite get there myself most of the time!! I have learnt a whole knew idea and way of shooting confirmation shots, here in Australia I have noticed most are done side on standing square regardless of breed or type of horse! I have also learnt about distortion and lots of hints and tricks that I want to try like the black background, just need to find a barn and put a horse in it!!
Attachments
pirysmall.jpg
Pentax k200d, sigma 70 - 300mm 4.0 and a pentax 80 - 200mm

Julie Allen
Registered Guest

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Julie Allen on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:51 am

I really wanted to take this class last year but thought things were a little too busy so when it rolled around this year I didn’t even consider “busy”! I’m so glad I took this course, if I’d pushed and taken it last year I could have saved myself a year of mindless shooting ;-) One of the main things I wanted to get out of this was instruction on the things to do before you start taking pictures. Carien continuously encouraged us to slow down, think about the photo and get back 200 mm to minimize distortion. With the tools and knowledge gained through all the great reading material and photos shared by class members I feel more equipped to go out and take more “keeper” photos. Carien also freed me up to hit the “Delete” button when she said mentioned that she deleted photos she didn’t want to share during her first review. My hard drive will thank you Carien! I’m looking forward to trying out some of the things I couldn’t get to during the class, panning, silhouette shots, confirmation with a handler. Happy shooting, crossing my fingers for a nice, long Fall Season!
Attachments
AIMG_9814crBlkTW2.jpg
Julie Allen
Canon 40D with 28-135 IS & 70-200 2.8

JUDY L. NEILL
EPNet General Member

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby JUDY L. NEILL on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:53 pm

I was really stuck in Aperture Priority for the last two years and got very frustrated when I tried to use Manual or Shutter Priority. This class got me over the hump of my fears and confusion of making that change and to start understanding my modes and camera better than ever before. I learned to shoot all the way out to my focal length which was a huge step for me. The way Carien teaches and helps everyone in a way which is so easy to understand and learn and it gave me such a purpose to go out and shoot!! Which is what I love to do. I enjoyed looking at all the other students photos while reading and learning from all the comments. I would probably take this class again. Carien, Thank You for a wonderful class, you have made me a very Happy Photographer.
I would have never been able to get this action shot without this course. I can not wait to go out and shoot now.
Attachments
PICK UP RIDERS WITH RIDER PAINT HORSES  20100729_4094 sig.jpg

Pauleen Home
Registered Guest

Postby Pauleen Home on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Carien,
This was a very useful course and I may consider taking it again to develop more confidence with the basics. I learned a ton and now need to get a smoother flow between me and my camera, the do's and don'ts of horse photography and developing a good eye for amazing shots. I'm not as quick as I would like to be with bringing all these aspects into balancer and will have to keep practicing.

I also enjoyed reading and learning from other students. Thank you Cassandra for sharing how to put a copywright on photos and especially to Susan from Scotland for putting in the Option G trick for Mac which was exactly what I needed as a Mac user.

Cheers, Pauleen
Attachments
DSC_0118_4.jpg
Lesson in Arena Sunlight

Maureen Kirk-Detberner
Registered Guest

Postby Maureen Kirk-Detberner on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks so much Carien for this wonderful class you pushed me out of my comfort zone of taking horse photos. When I take photos now I can hear your voice in my head saying "check your background...can you get a better photo if you move to the left..the right...or get down...what is your subject...are the eyes in focus...can you adjust the F stop to get a better blur on the background?" Along with get the "horse very clean, make sure the halter is clean, appropriate and that it fits nicely." Plus "check your setting, take one photo at at time, time your photos with the horses gaits?"

I tried and got some decent confirmation photos and I must admit I love playing around with the rim lighting on my palomino Fox Trotter JR. Over all I left my comfort zone and it was all good. Thanks so much Carien for all the great helpful hints...I'm now the owner of a monopod and have been having fun working on getting better photos with my 70 - 300 mm. This class may be the most expensive I've taken as I'm now lusting after the Canon 70 - 200 mm L 2.8 lens!

I fell that over all this class is the best photography class I've taken aand it has helped me with my confidence level as an equine photographer.

I'm posting a photo of JR my lovely (gifted) Fox Trotter in the morning light.
Attachments
IMG_8451-Jr-rim.jpg
SS 1/400 F 4.5, ISO 200, 90 mm
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Canon 70 - 200 mm L, 2.8, 70 - 300 mm Canon-F-4-5.6, Canon 28 - 105 mm, Canon 40 mm pancake

Alana Thrower
Registered Guest

Postby Alana Thrower on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:38 pm

I have really enjoyed this class! I learned a lot about my camera. I can get shots now that just frustrated me before. I understand how to set for different light situations. I can take reasonably good action shots. Still need to work on my timing though. There are so many things to be aware of when taking a photo. I was just guessing and hoping I had managed to get the photo I wanted. Now I know what to do to make it happen. Thanks so much Carien for a great class. I really appreciate the feedback. Reading your comments not only about my photos but about other people's photos really was helpful.
I also got to meet some great people and their wonderful horses. Over all it was a very satisfying experience.
Attachments
P8073362.600C.jpg
Sidney and Chance
Alana Thrower
Olympus E 510 with 40-150 4.0 and 70-300 4.0 lenses

Previous

Return to EPNet Image Showcase