HOME PORTFOLIOS DIRECTORY LINKS & RESOURCES CONTACT EVENTS COURSES MEMBERS ONLY YOUR ACCOUNT

Tips And Tricks

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: EPNet Admin

Nancy Krebs

Have thanks: 0 time

Tips And Tricks

Postby Nancy Krebs on Wed May 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi! I was just wondering what types of methods you use to get the horse's attention (as in ears perked without "donkey ears"). The last photoshoot I did with my friends horse, I took my dog's squeeky toy but it only worked for a few shots. I am doing my friend's daughter's senior pictures next month and could use some help! Any other tips and tricks for taking portraits would be awesome too!! Thank you!

Peter DeMott
Registered Guest

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Tips And Tricks

Postby Peter DeMott on Wed May 19, 2010 7:27 pm

I have sound clips on my iPhone of horses talking to each other. I forget where I got it. Google for horses winney
[size=120][i]Peter DeMott Photography[/i][/size]
[url]http://www.photosbypdemott.com[/url]
[url]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1407421933[/url]
[url]http://www.equinephotographerspodcast.com[/url]
Email: peter@photosbypdemott.com Phone: 937-478-6222

Judy Bosco
EPNet Pro Member

Postby Judy Bosco on Wed May 19, 2010 8:25 pm

I second what Peter said. I did a photo shoot where the woman had a small toy horse that whinnied. Did the trick every time. At the KY workshop last October, Shirley had a small tape recorder that has real one's on it and it was VERY effective also.

Diane Horton
Registered Guest

Postby Diane Horton on Wed May 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I have used a squeaky hopping stuffed battery run bunny, a good sized mirror, another horse walking from around a corner, as well as previously mentioned horse sounds. I know there is more but I'm blank.

Belinda Jones
Registered Guest

Postby Belinda Jones on Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Interesting question. I used a bellydancer once, with jingles on her hips :-) What works well though is a miniature donkey - preferably if the horse is not accustomed to seeing one. See attached photo. A noisy plastic bag or a large ball thrown in the air some distance away so as not to spook the horse entirely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurie Taylor
EPNet Pro Member

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby Laurie Taylor on Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 am

In addition to "all of the above" :wink: an old soda bottle with a few pebbles in it can also work.

Be sure to collect a number of items; as you've found out, each tends to work for a short while, then the subject tends to get the "been here, seen that" expression.

Cattle worked well for my old boy (he is fascinated by cattle).

Lee Locke
Registered Guest

Postby Lee Locke on Thu May 20, 2010 11:39 am

Trail horse win photos - finally attached a lead rope to a large cardboard box - then tugged from WAY OVER THERE - worked to get all 3 sets of ears.long enough. Also kiddy fishing reel with bag and weight on end - can cast or drag.
Lee Locke - Locke Photography
www.Lockephoto.com

Laurie Taylor
EPNet Pro Member

Postby Laurie Taylor on Thu May 20, 2010 11:20 pm

That reminds me - I just got eight ears on four trail horses in a win photo, with an old magazine :wink:

Andrea Boody
Registered Guest

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Andrea Boody on Fri May 21, 2010 7:55 am

I had good luck with the little stuffed animals that sing and dance - you'll either have to trigger them yourself or have someone else hit the button, but they usually bring out the curiosity.

I've also borrowed a friends coyote lure - its a remote control electronic box that has wounded animal sounds and a motion lure that snaps back and forth. Its usually used to call coyotes for hunting, but horses are mesmerized.

I've seen people using the screaming monkeys, too - the ones you launch like a rubberband.

Nancy Krebs

Postby Nancy Krebs on Fri May 21, 2010 9:51 am

Thank you so much!!! I appriciate it! :D

Carol Lynn Coronios
Registered Guest

Postby Carol Lynn Coronios on Fri May 21, 2010 9:48 pm

A small (cosmetic) mirror. Have assistant use ONLY when you're completely set up and only need ears. Catch horse's eye with it or reflect the light with it.

One of those big lots of ringlets bows - with some jingle bells tied on. Or the bow stuck on a film container with a few pebbles in it. You or assistant toss it out in front of the horse.

I've seen some assistants use a lighter - just flick it on.

Biggest thing's been said - the novelty only lasts a few times, so bring a bag of tricks - but don't show ANY of them until THE MOMENT you need them.
Carol Lynn Coronios
As You Like It Equine Photography
fine art, portraits, competitions
. As You Like It Equine Photography Home
. As You Like It on Facebook
. As You Like It EPN portfolio

Josee Talbot
Registered Guest

Postby Josee Talbot on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:29 am

For me, an umbrella usually does the job! Of course, you need an assistant for that! A small mirror also works well. One day, I used an aluminum plate and placed some small stones in it and shook it. On the iPhone, there is a sound of a dog barking... Got me out of trouble with a mare who didn't react to any of the tricks I usually use! ;)

Anne Whiting
Registered Guest

Postby Anne Whiting on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:37 pm

I use one of those folding pop-up nylon windshield sunscreens. When you need it just let it expand and it's worked everytime. Also easy to carry around under my arm.

Sharon Packer
EPNet Pro Member

Have thanks: 59 times

Postby Sharon Packer on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:43 am

An assistant tossing dirt, leaves into the air usually works. I use "Horse." It is an application for I-Phone which works when tapped or when I move. It has never failed to get ears up and usually elicits loud responses from the horses I'm working with. Be careful with that umbrella! One of my own horses would have been in the next county if you'd opened the umbrella monster around her!
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com

Return to EPNet Open Forum